Fall Background

Sunday, May 24, 2009

God moments and sweet blessings

In my last post, I mentioned being able to see God minister to my heart more profoundly lately.... little did I know the rest of the week He had in store!! I've had some amazing conversations recently with sisters who I know must have been Spirit-led in when they contacted me as well as what they've said. God's used them to uplift me just when He knows I need it most! It's been so humbling and exciting to know He's pursuing my heart and meeting every need. Possibly most uplifting of all has been to find how many struggles and unanswered questions are shared among my sisters! Divide and conquer is definitely a tactic of the enemy! There's great peace, hope and renewal of strength in finding that I'm not alone!!
I had the blessing of having lunch on Thursday with one of the girls from my graduating class at Clemson. We also attended the same Connecting Point college group. She's such a blessing and encouragement!! It was such a treat to catch up with her, to share how God's challenged and grown us since graduation. On Saturday, I got to be at the airport with a very sweet friend as she prepared to leave for a summer serving trip in Southeast Asia. She and I were roommates last summer in Hilton Head. She's grown tremendously over the last year! She already had a servants heart, a love for the nations and a strong desire to grow in her walk when she came to project. It's been so uplifting to watch her continue to blossom into one of the most kind-hearted, God-honoring young women I've ever been blessed to call a friend. I was thankful to be one of her "sending party". Another of her friends from Clemson was able to see her off as well. She and I ended up chatting over coffee after we left the security checkpoint. Once again, God knew just what I needed! I'm most reenergized and feel most used and challenged by the Lord in the more intimate settings of one-on-one or small group conversation. (although theres typically very little that could keep me from a group game night, meal, or most any other fellowship activity!) God's little surprises are just wonderful :) Such an unexpected blessing!
I attended a different campus for church today as one of the staff girls from project was in town! (another of God's sweet, surprise gifts to me this week!) Afterwards, I was close enough to my small group leader's house to get to stop in for a bit. She and I have gotten more opportunities to connect outside of group recently. God's been using her so much in my life! It's been so refreshing as I've missed the community from Clemson and SummerLINK so much!! I told her how uplifted I've been by so many great conversations. She told me she has no doubt thats just what I needed. I know when she says something like that it can be taken as confirmation from the Lord through those that love me that He's at work! So many sweet reminders from the Lord of how much He loves me.
Today's sermon was on "markers" in the Christian walk. These are significant experiences that are recorded, remembered and returned to as reminders of God's love, comfort, strength and hope. They point to Christ. Pastor Miles referred to Joshua 4:1-7. The Isrealites face the Jordan River- the last obstacle separating them from the promised land of Canaan. God tells Joshua to bring the Ark to the waters edge. As they stepped into the river in faith, the Lord parted the Jordan to allow them to pass on dry ground. He instructed a man from each tribe to take a stone from the Jordan as a memorial. God wanted them to pass on the story of the Jordan- God's provision, protection and promise-keeping.
These friendships, encounters with other believers, conversations that come about through no other means but God's providence are markers to me. They don't necessarily mark life-altering events but they're powerful reminders of God's promise to me that He has a purpose and a plan for my life. Jer 29:11 "God wants us to despair in our own strength so that we have no other option but to throw ourselves on His grace. That's the mystery of His plan. You will find His strength in your weakness. As you despair in yourself, you will find hope in Him." (Joshua Harris) 2 Cor 12:9-10
I've said in the past that when God is preparing to do something big in my life, He floods it with fellowship. I've seen this to be true time and again through so many changes and trials in my life. Not only has He provided all of Himself, He's never left me without fellowship to be His hands, feet and voice when I need it most. I'm still not sure what He's planning but I'm at peace that He's called me here for now. He's at work in my life! The rest will be revealed in His perfect timing. Until then, He continually provides reassurance that He's never forsaken me. Treasure, health and healing are in Christ. The word: "impossible" is not in my Saviors vocabulary!! (Jim Miles)

No comments: