Fall Background

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Drop Your Chains

I've found myself reflecting more in the last few weeks as my friends prepare for graduation and as I'm beginning to hear more about this years' SummerLINK team. I have such wonderful memories from my Sr year and the following summer. More than just fond remembrances though are the lessons God taught me and the experience of knowing He was drawing me ever more close to Himself as my circumstances began to grow increasingly more unsure.
About six months ago, I felt led to study Galations and Ephesians in my time with the Lord. Coincidentally, I recently finished reading through these books again in my reading plan. Perfect timing! God used this as well as wisdom from wonderful brothers and sisters to work on my heart about bondage to sin and chains in my life. I had begun considering the concept around a year ago as I was preparing for graduation and some fear set in over what would be next. I never could have expected the path the Lord would lead me down in the last year. The process of gaining clearer vision of what God has planned for my future has been a faith stretching one to say the least! Sanctification truly is an ongoing process!

This is one of my favorite passages of these letters:
Galations 4
7So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir.
8Formerly, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those who by nature are not gods. 9But now that you know God--or rather are known by God--how is it that you are turning back to those weak and miserable principles? Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again?

In the last couple of years, my perspectives and views have been tested and grown. I thank the Lord for His faithfulness and grace as I know I've been stubborn at times to accept the lessons He's been working into my heart. It has been shockingly amazing to find what chains I'd been carrying... Some lies from the enemy were so deeply rooted. I'd accepted them as truth and hadn't thought to question the source. There are definitely some ways of thinking that I'm grateful to be free of. In falling more in love with my Creator and His word, I've grown in discernment of what is and is not Truth. It's only through the work of the Spirit that I'm able to gratefully say this!
Here are a few of my favorite truths!

Gal 5:1 "For Freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery".

Eph 2:3-10 We were once DEAD in trespasses and sins, objects of WRATH!! "BUT GOD, being RICH in MERCY, because of the GREAT LOVE with which he loved us" has made us ALIVE with CHRIST, SAVED by GRACE through FAITH! This is THE GIFT of God!!!!

2 Chron 20:15b "This is what the Lord says to you: 'Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God's"!!!
Your GOD will FIGHT for you!!! Trust and honor Him!

Rom 8:15 For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by Him we cry Abba Father".

Rom 8:1 "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death"
AMEN!

Is 41:8-10 "But you, Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, the offspring of Abraham, my friend; you whom I took from the ends of the earth, and called from its farthest corners, saying to you, 'You are my servant, I have chosen you and not cast you off '; fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand".
We are servants of the Lord, CHOSEN by Him!! God will strengthen, help, uphold and never cast off those whom He loves



I love these quotes from Elizabeth Elliott taken from Passion and Purity
"Does (whatever I am determining to be true) harmonize with my best understanding of God's plan"?
"Do I want to walk, here, as in all areas of my life, by faith, or will I take things into my own hands"?

No comments: