Fall Background

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Young Adult + Single =F.A.T. ???

After some deliberation and prayer (though not as much deliberation as I thought would be necessary) I've decided to take the Hermeneutics class! I attended the first class a couple of weeks ago :) I'm very much looking forward to learning more about the discipline of interpreting the Bible.

My only disappointment will be missing teaching on Paul's writings in another class. I would, no question, list Paul among my favorite Biblical writers if not my favorite! I respect his no sugar-coating yet encouraging style of addressing the new church. I also greatly enjoy studying his letters as a record of the early corporate Church.

Given my major and minor in the social sciences, I also love to learn about how groups and individuals interact. Paul's letters are such a window into the hearts and minds of some of the first members of the collective church body!

So why the blog title: "Young Adult + Single =F.A.T. ???" For those who haven't heard the acronym, F.A.T. stands for Faithful Available Teachable. Perhaps one of the things that intrigues me most is the likelihood that many of the early church members were around my age! Paul chose to pour into the younger generation to build and provide lasting leadership to the young congregations. I wonder what life must have been like for them as they realized that what they were choosing to be a part of would change their world as they knew it...

No comments: