Fall Background

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Steadfast and Faithful

I've been reading through Psalms, Isaiah and Paul's letters in my reading plan. Psalms repeatedly refers to the Lord as "everlasting" (Ps 102) and speaks of His "steadfast love" (Ps 100, 103, 106, 109....) Perhaps the most recognizable reference being 100:5 "For the Lord is good; His steadfast love endures forever, and His faithfulness to all generations" ALL generations.....its just as much a promise to me as it was to my spiritual ancestors. Praise the Lord for He IS GOOD!!
I've been needing to hear these reminders so much lately. Although I still have a peace that the Lord is in control and His plans are for my good and His glory, waiting doesn't get any easier. God's been drawing me to Himself bidding that I turn to Him to strengthen and mature me....and to give Him full control..... not exactly second nature to a type A! (in the words of Mark Driscoll, I've had to repent of my control freak nature!) It's been a growing season that I wouldn't take back. Still, getting disheartened, loosing sight of hope happens all too easily.... oh how subtle and almost unnoticed the deceptions of the enemy.... yet through it all the Lord provides faithfully including hope to persevere and see the Lord glorified through any challenge!
Last Sunday, Steven Furtick was a guest speaker. I've had the blessing of hearing Pastor Furtick preach at Clemson FCA's and looked forward to hearing from him again on Sunday. The Lord provided exactly what I needed: encouragement not to give up hope for my God is in control!
The scripture reference was I Kings 18:41-46. God had promised rain so Elijah sent his servant to check for clouds.... seven times! Finally, a cloud the size of "a man's hand"! The sign was small but led to great rejoicing that God had kept His promise. Ps 105 (which I had read the day before the service-- just like the Lord to use repetition!) also reminds readers of God's faithfulness to keep His commandments and promises. Pastor Furtick urged the congregation to "take another look", to go back to a time when we'd seen the Lord move or clearly speak. He
encouraged us to remember God's promise: He has a purpose and plan for each of His beloved children. The process between the promise and the payoff may be long and painful. The results we're waiting for may start small but "little is much when God is in it". God's timing may "cut it close" by our standards but His timing is perfect. This very much spoke to my weary heart. As we sang at the end of the service, my everlasting God doesn't grow weary! Praise Him for He is steadfast and faithful!

No comments: