Fall Background

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Waiting as Worship

Reading back over the lyrics of "While I'm Waiting"by John Waller, I thought of a Mark Driscoll sermon I heard recently on the "Doxological View of Culture". Part of the lyrics are "I will serve you while I'm waiting I will worship while I'm waiting on You, Lord". Mark Driscoll described worship not as an event but as all of life. It doesn't start and stop. It's life with God. Worship is defined as the continual pouring out of all that I am to a chosen god. This could be the God of the Bible or a substitute, an idol (or idols).
All of life is worship.... culture is created as worship acts.... we were created to give ourselves in worship to someone or something.....you will sacrifice for who or what you put in the position of glory... everyone worships The question is, who or what? ....
The question for me out of all this is if all of life is worship, how will I use this time to worship, serve and glorify the Lord? I'm definitely in a season of waiting. I've heard in the past that waiting isn't passive, its active obedience. It can still be quite a helpless feeling sometimes. Though I don't clearly know where God's calling me, I do know I've only begun to explore the gifts, abilities and passions He's given me to be used for His glory.
The latest GirlTalk Blog post suggest that singles "Use This Time". Here's an excerpt from the post:
"Despite the many, legitimate, demands on your life, you have great freedom to choose how you spend your time. [referring to women in the single season]
Please don’t waste a moment of this precious and limited season. Be a student of God’s Word. Study eagerly, study deliberately, study faithfully.
When you dedicate your time to growing in your knowledge of God and you’ll make deposits into your future life that will yield blessing upon blessing".
Sounds like a great place to start in seeking to wait on the Lord as an act of worship. :)

No comments: