Fall Background

Sunday, March 29, 2009

God's Still God and He's Still GOOD!

It shouldn't be much longer before I find out if I got the job I applied for about a week ago. I definitely have moments of being more nervous of the results- especially thoughts of where I'm supposed to be if not there. The past few months have been such a roller coaster of crying to God in fear, frustration and repentance over my failure to firmly put my trust in Him. I keep trying to remind myself that no matter what happens, God's still God and He's still good! Anything He does is for His glory and my good. It's hard to see and remember that sometimes...especially in the midst of a storm. Maybe God's trying to teach me the freedom of singing and dancing even in the rain...
2 Tim 1:7 For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline
Rom 8:15 For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. Any by Him we cry, Abba Father.

God uses so many things to minister to His children. My reminder tonight to keep trusting in His goodness and perfect will is a sweet sister I met in a summer Bible Study in my early college years. She and her husband just had their first child: a healthy, sweet baby boy, about two weeks ago. A recent blog post was a reflection of adjusting to life with a newborn and being grateful for these moments and brief years even despite lack of sleep! I've been so encouraged by her over the last few years! I remember sitting with her over lunch during a school break shortly after her life was essentially turned upside down. Every plan and path she truly thought God had led her to vanished. I know she went through a very tough adjustment period that I didn't witness directly as we attended different schools. But I was floored and greatly encouraged by the sister who sat across from me that day. It was so evident that she still loved and clung to the Lord with everything in her. As I think back on the last few months and my frustration that my plans have not turned out as I'd expected, I realize how self-centered I can be. Also, how much bigger a canvas on which God is painting my life story--and with how much more love, compassion, and invested interest He does so than I'm capable of understanding.
She's endured so much (including moving across the country during pregnancy and a difficult delivery!). I don't know if I'd be so quick to praise after all she's been through. But I suppose that's a reason God chose this path for her: she's bringing Him great glory in the way that she's responded to trials. And He's greatly blessing her for her faithfulness.
No more than a year after she and I sat down to lunch together, my sweet sister was walking down the aisle towards her groom. And now they've welcomed their son. Such a wonderful example of what it means to trust the Lord whole-heartedly.


Ps 33:20-21 We wait in hope for the Lord; he is our help and our shield In Him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in His holy name.

No comments: