Fall Background

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Leading the Way

I recently finished reading Humility by CJ Mahaney. I'm so thankful for this time I've been able to focus so much attention on what God wants to teach me. He's been speaking so much through books, sermons, friends and of course His Word. As I reflect on what I've read, things He's shown me from other sources all seem to tie together reinforcing what He's trying to teach me.
A blog my friend Jenna posted reflected on what God's teaching her. It seemed to echo something that stuck out to me in Humility. After reading this paragraph in her blog, I referred back to a page that had particularly drawn my attention.
(Daniel) "Akin goes into detail about what Jesus' persecution was like. As I (Jenna) reflect on Luke 22:39-23:49, I really cannot imagine the anguish Jesus must have felt as he sweat drops of blood. Man, my trials are nothing compared to Jesus having His disciples fall asleep before the very day He would be crucified. Moments when we feel we have been mistreated or misunderstood are nothing in comparison to the mocking Christ received on the cross. How Jesus must have longed to get down from the cross and prove He truly is the All Powerful King. Yet He remained on the cross as a sheep being led to the slaughter for your sin and mine! How amazing is it that those who are in Christ, those who have surrendered control of their lives to Him, are now declared justified in God's sight? Praise the Lord that this justification is apart from the law through faith in Christ by GRACE! ("We know that no one is justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ" -Gal 2:16). We no longer have to work to earn God's favor or hope that we will somehow make it to heaven!"

This is the passage from Humility:
"In Mark 10 we find Jesus and His disciples on the road, going up to Jerusalem. This is the last journey of Jesus' ministry, and the final destination is in full view. The hour for which He ultimately came now approaches. The cross is on the horizon.
This long journey to Jerusalem and the cross will apparently be a lonely one for the Savior, for He's making it without the full understanding and support of His disciples. They continue to be blinded by selfish ambition, so He must continue to teach and instruct them and confront their arrogance.
And yet, however grieved His heart must surely be at this moment, we see Him 'walking ahead of them' (v 32). No one is prodding Him on; no one is forcing Him. He's leading the way. And the One leading the way is the only One in this group of travelers who's aware of what indescribable anguish awaits Him there.
Pause, if you will, and picture Him in your mind. Behold this lone figure out in front, fully aware and informed of what awaits Him in Jerusalem. See Him steadfast in heart, determined, setting the pace for His disciples, striding purposely forward.
Where? To Jerusalem. Why? To die."

Jesus was alone. His disciples were with Him but He may as well have been completely alone. They didn't and couldn't understand. Anytime Satan tempts me to believe that I'm completely alone and should just give up, this is what my mind should return to. What Jesus went through was so much worse than I could even imagine (or want to...). He followed the will of the Father, knowing what it meant, fully understanding the cost. What a weight He must have felt! He had no one to turn to but the Father. That's how it should be with me. As Jenna mentioned, my trials pale in comparison....Christ went through this willingly, obediently, with no human source of comfort. Yet, God was enough to sustain Jesus through the worst of all human trials and suffering.

No comments: