Fall Background

Friday, September 12, 2008

F.R.O.G (Fully Rely on God)

Jenna, one of the SummerLINKers, is currently studying abroad in London. I really related to a recent post on her blog. God must sometimes take us away from whats comfortable to force us to fully rely on Him for everything including comfort and feelings of security. I've been experiencing this in this season of separation from my church family.
While away from the spiritual support I've become accustomed to, Satan's attacks of discouragement seem harder to defend against. Though, my great and loving Father hasn't left me to fight this alone! I've found that the best part of this difficult situation is that I've been experiencing greater intimacy with my Savior. He's been teaching me so much through drawing me ever closer to Him! As I've sought Him, He's met me where I am and lifted me up reminding me that He never leaves nor forsakes.
A great source of this encouragement has been some good reading material including books and blogs. A blog I read recently focused on some of the things that we let drowned out God's voice and make it difficult to hear Him. One thing that stuck with me most was technology. I started thinking about how much time I spend on the computer, watching tv (even if its just on in the background, its noise!), or otherwise avoiding silence. So for the past few days I've been trying my best to focus less on some aspects of technology. I've done a lot more journaling and have had some great experiences just talking with God. I've felt free to lay baggage at the foot of the cross and fill my mind and heart with His promises to me.
A couple of years ago, God taught me a lot about silence before Him- ceasing to strive (Ps 46:10-11) and laying cares, fears, and needs at the foot of the cross. Especially in worship I would get distracted pouring out to Him everything I needed or wanted Him to know (which was necessary but I would neglect to take time to just dwell on Him- to be calm and at rest in His presence) The blog was a reminder that I must still recognize when it's necessary to just be still. So many things in our world today scream for my attention while in the process, stealing it from the One who deserves it most.

No comments: