Fall Background

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Celebration and Refreshing Fellowship

Last weekend, I got to make an extended visit to Clemson. I was in town from Fri-Tues and the whole visit was incredibly refreshing! I truly cherished the time spent in fellowship. God also used the trip to confirm some things He's been speaking to my heart. I returned so refreshed!
Here are a few pictures from the long weekend:
Soccer game against MD. Tigers WON!



My accountability partner, Meredith and our friend Susan. :)
Opportunities to spend time with wonderful brothers and sisters are becoming all the more precious as these cherished friends prepare to follow the Lord's calling for the next seasons of their lives.

Each evening I was in town, I got to do something special with friends. I played my first game of Frisbee Golf on campus with Matt, Nick, Lindsey, and Meredith. I definitely need a lot more practice but I had a great time getting introduced to the game. The best part though was spending a couple of hours walking campus with good friends.



Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of the rest of the trip but that's mostly because I was so occupied enjoying the time! On Sunday, I enjoyed corporate worship and the college discussion series. It's always SO good to be home with my church family. Everyone has been so encouraging and genuinely excited to have me there. It's so uplifting to see how much everyone (most of all myself!) is excited for me to be there full time. I really can't wait to be in town for more than a visit!
The activity that evening was ice cream to celebrate our friend Anna's acceptance to Med school! We spent some time at Spill the Beans, a popular ice cream shop/hang out place downtown, then went to Matt's for a game of ImaginIff with some other friends. Game nights have become a fun way to spend some quality time with friends. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed playing Mafia and Apples to Apples together at Matt's birthday party during my last visit and another game night we had last semester is still talked about!
On Monday and Tuesday, I visited with some of the ladies from church that I respect very much. It was wonderful getting to sit down with them, ask questions and glean what I know is God-given wisdom. Time with them is always so meaningful!
One of the special treats of the visit was getting to stay a couple of extra days to go to my old CP group on Monday evening. It was so wonderful to share in fellowship and study with this group again! The group has grown and changed a bit since I attended. There were still quite a few familiar faces though and I really enjoyed the time with them. They're currently studying Humility by CJ Mahaney. The chapter was on starting the day focusing on God. A point Pastor Mahaney makes was such a great reminder of intentionally setting our eyes on the cross. The author asks how much time we spend listening to ourselves versus talking to ourselves.
I also got a few minutes to speak with our Associate Pastors wife, Liz. She and so many of the church staff have been so understanding and encouraging through this support raising experience. She took the time that evening to ask me how I was doing and to give some encouragement and advice. I've really loved how God is using this season in my life to grow me and to show me He's never left my side. One of the ways I've seen this is that my church family has been so lovingly diligent to uplift me in prayer and make sure I know I'm not alone.
It was hard to leave Clemson the next day but God even used the ride home as an opportunity to encourage and uplift me. A suggestion Pastor Mahaney poses in Humility is to seize the commute. Use time you know you will have each day to invite the Lord to speak to you. God has been so faithful to meet with me in the time I seek to spend with Him and to move my heart when I have neglected to offer enough.
God was clearly working on my heart throughout the weekend to show me how to apply things He'd been teaching me and to give me the encouragement I need to persevere through trials.

1 comment:

Bran said...

It was good to chat with you today.