Fall Background

Monday, September 13, 2010

Welcome Home

My family lost its patriarch today. My parents called this evening to tell me that my paternal grandfather had passed away in his sleep this afternoon.
I'm thankful to know that my grandfather finished the race. He set the pace in our family being one of faith. I'm sure when he met Jesus, he heard "well done" for how he lived. Though his accomplishments in life are many, including distinguished service in the US Coast Guard, he is known to his family and friends as incredibly humble and kind. I'll remember Papa's sweet demeanor. He always seemed to have a smile or a joke (with the family's famous clever sense of humor). He remains one of the most generous, genuinely caring men in my life.
I lost count of the many offers and statements to make ourselves at home as my immediate family were often guests in my grandparents' home for family gatherings. As long as I can remember, family was a top priority for Papa. He and Nana brought us together for vacations and holidays. I am thankful for the example he set in cherishing family time.
Although it will be hard to adjust to his absence in our family, it is a tremendous joy to know that he no longer has to inhabit his worn earthly body.
Thank you Lord for the blessing of knowing this wonderful man. We will miss him greatly but know you have warmly welcomed your son home.

No comments: